Want to start a ‘walking school bus’?
We have the training and tools you need to succeed!
A ‘walking school bus’ brings together a group of kids who walk a regular route to school together with a supervising adult. Kids can join in at any point along the way. It’s like a carpool, but on foot.
Walking school buses make it safer and easier for more students to get to school powered by their own two feet. It can also be a great way for parents and caregivers to reduce morning stress, help kids get energy out before school, reduce truancy, and more.
Walk SF gives parents, caregivers, school staff, and community-based organizations the training and tools to start a walking school bus.
Contact us about doing a webinar that covers:
- The many benefits a walking school bus can bring to your school
- What simple materials you need to get started
- How to conduct a walk audit to assess traffic safety issues near your school
- How to start and keep a successful walking school bus going
- How to determine an ideal location and route for a walking school bus
- Read about the power of the walking school bus at Malcolm X Elementary.
- Request a walking school bus toolkit, with supplies like a stop sign and vest. Contact Vernon Haney, Family & Schools Coordinator.
- Recordings of trainings in Spanish, Arabic, and Cantonese will be available here in September 2021.
Questions? Contact Vernon Haney, Family & Schools Coordinator.
Walk San Francisco is part of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Partnership. The San Francisco Safe Routes to School partners include: