- This event has passed.
How to Start a Walking School Bus: the Bayview Edition
May 26, 2021 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
What’s a walking school bus?
With more students returning to in-person learning, we want to support many getting to school in people-powered ways! A ‘walking school bus’ brings together a group of kids who walk a regular route to school together with a supervising adult. Kids can join in at any point along the way. Walking school buses make it safer and easier for more students to get to school powered by their own two feet.
Want to learn more about what it would take to start one? You’re invited to an online training for parents, caregivers, school staff, and community-based organizations in the Richmond neighborhood hosted by the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Partnership, Walk SF, and District 10 Supervisor Shamann Walton. Register now for the Zoom on Wednesday, May 26 at 5:30PM.
This one-hour webinar will cover:
- The many benefits a walking school bus can bring to your school
- What simple materials you need to get started
- How to conduct a walk audit to assess traffic safety issues near your school
- How to start and keep a successful walking school bus going
- How to determine an ideal location and route for a walking school bus
Interested in attending but don’t live in the Bayview? Feel free to join the Zoom anyway, or reach out to Vernon Haney at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about bringing a future training to your district.
The San Francisco Safe Routes to School partners include: